Friday, September 7, 2012

Oh blow.


So... During the week I wrote a post declaring my love for few particular pieces of teak that I have been on the hunt for.  A G Plan sideboard and dressing table in particular.  Well on the way home from work today I decided to drive by a local charity shop to see what they had in stock before the weekend. As I entered I passed a couple of nice looking Formica chairs and decided that this was going to be a good visit! Then to my right I caught a glimpse of something very familiar! It wasn't! Oh it was! A G Plan sideboard!  In perfect condition! £80! I was all set to get my purse out until I notice a second sticker on the piece.  "SOLD 7/9/12"  

Oh goodness.  Such disappointment! The most sour part of the story would be that I actually thought to visit yesterday but decided to leave it a day in the hope that they might have more stock in right before the weekend. Crumbs. 




There were plenty of other MCM finds to be had, but after the sheer disappointment that the stars had not aligned to make the G Plan sideboard happen I wasn't in so much of a mood to shop anymore! 

 










5 comments:

  1. At one time, an auction house here in Dallas was buying containers of G-Plan, Remploy and the like. We had tons of it a year ago, including one dressing table that I can think of and several sideboards. We would have given you a great prices on it right before we moved into our new store...and that would have given you and Nick an excuse to make a road trip to Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. : ) Oh darn! Fortunately G- Plan and the such is quite easy to come across over here. My only trouble is transport as my car is stereotypically European and oh so tiny! It's good to have a man with a van for those hauls! I'm still trying to get mine to come over to England ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would enjoy loading the van with great furniture manufactured in the UK. One of my most treasured pieces is a dropfront desk by Remploy, and one of the prettiest dining sets we've ever sold in the store was one manufactured by McIntosh.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure Nick would need much of an excuse to come to Texas! We love following your posts! I'm not sure we could get him out of Deep Ellum though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do make the trip one day soon. We would love to meet you.

      Delete