Sunday, October 21, 2012

Chocolate Fridge Cake


I've worked so hard this weekend to allow myself a guilt free Sunday afternoon for a little down time before Monday comes round again! The Sunday afternoon plan consists of baking, a bubble bath, new pajamas, some early online Christmas shopping and a nap! Considering such a hectic afternoon plan my baking amounted to a chocolate fridge cake which in fact required no baking at all nor can it really be identified as a real cake.  None the less this little lovely is quick and delicious.  It has to be the perfect recipe for busy people that need some chocolately sustenance.

Ingredients:
  • 250g/8oz digestive biscuits
  • 150g/5oz milk chocolate
  • 150g/5oz dark chcolate
  • 100g/3.5oz unsalted butter
  • 150g golden syrup
  • 25g chopped glacier cherries
  • 100g raisins 
  • 75g mixed nuts (pecans, almonds, hazelnuts

Method:
1) Line a 20cm shallow tin with foil

2) Place the biscuits into a plastic food bag and bash them into pieces using a rolling pin.

3) Melt the chocolate, butter and golden syrup in a heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally. (Or cheat as I did and heat in a pan on a very low heat being extremely careful not to burn by stirring continuously)

4) Remove pan from heat and stir in the broken biscuits, cherries, raisons, pecans, almonds and hazelnuts.

5) Pour the mixture into prepared tray, top with chopped hazelnuts and cover before placing in fridge for 1-2 hours to set.

6) Turn the cake out and pull away the foil.  Cut the cake into bite-size pieces and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I always find it fascinating that recipes from one country to another sometimes sound so mysterious. Products that seem like pantry staples in one country can be completely unfamiliar in another. When I first read your post, I had no idea what the American equivalent of Digestives or golden syrup might be. I found out that Americans could substitute graham crackers for the Digestives and cane syrup for golden syrup. Then I found out that Whole Foods Market or World Market, which is about a minute's drive from my house, carry both products!

    Your generation is accustomed to this small world we live in, but I'm still frequently amazed at how much more tightly knit our global community has become in the forty-five years since I set up housekeeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh the World Market is fantastic! We actually only came across it for the first time during the Summer! I was so excited to find that I could buy English chocolate in America and that I don't have to bring several weeks supply over with me each time I visit anymore! It's lovely to have access to such a variety of products now!

    I find cooking to be much more of a challenge now that I have so many favourite recipes from the US and the UK. It's so exciting when you find the ingredient you have been waiting for! I guess that the refrigerator cake (also known as chocolate tiffin) is less than travelled. One of my colleagues is Canadian and hadn't heard of it either so this I made for her! I hope that you get the chance to try sometime!




    ReplyDelete